Thursday 31 March 2011

The Metamorphosis Continues


Podcast as a method of instruction

My latest acquisition in my learning repertoire is the PODCAST. I went from having a notion that a podcast is downloadable audio files that other people have created to creating my own audio file and publishing it on my wiki – Heleen’s first podcast.

This was a empowering feeling doing something totally new and seeing it though to completion, I am sure more constructivism took place in my learning. I have done a SWOT analysis to deconstruct and decide how applicable this tool is. I have to admit that I keep having new ideas of how this tool can be used in a teaching context, which is an indicator to me that a lot can be done with this tool.



SWOT analysis of podcasts

Podcast to enhance student learning
Podcast have potential use not only as a tool for learning but also as a tool to help students. If a podcast is made as a new concept is taught and this is then made available to students, they can review the new concept in their own time. This could be used in a number of ways;
§  students with disabilities may want to review what was said in class,
§  student who are ill and not able to come to class can review the lessons,
§  students in remote areas can follow a class as long as they have some form of communication,
§  sport students often need to be away from classrooms can keep up to date while they are away participating in their sport,

In Mathematics and business podcasts can be used as an icebreaker, students could be asked to select a person that has revolutionary ideas and as a class we could follow this persons podcasts for a term. These ideas can then be discussed and parallels drawn to the students learning thus making their learning’s real for them.

Podcasts leagal and ethical considerations
Copyright issues need to be considered when using podcast that students have created and when using other persons podcasts.

Once I started giving it some thought the applications for this tool in teaching just seemed to grow. I feel this tool would be a good tool to include in an e-learning strategy.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Heleen, I thought your podcast was great. What I found interesting was that I was so happy to hear your voice! Ironic seeing as you said you don't like listening to your voice. It has been strange living in this 'virtual' world the last few weeks and having no 'traditional' interaction. It made me think that another great idea for podcasts would be if we could all do a little reflection or even weekly positive message to our peers... imagine how much that would lift everyones spirits to hear the encouraging words of everyone else and to be able to relate to their hard times:-)

    P.S I love all your diagrams, images etc - you are obviously much more of a digital native than I am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you Kyley
    According to the box of digital native I miss it by miles, needed to be born after 1980. I wonder what Bill Gates would say to that!

    Heleen

    ReplyDelete