Sunday 3 April 2011

Concept Mapping


I was introduced to mind mapping years (20) ago, and used to do them on flip charts to explore issues or learn something new. I was introduced to MindManager about 10 years ago and just loved the fact that I could do my mind maps in an electronic form and that the paper was endless. The latest wow for me has been the fact that concept maps can be done collaboratively online with people that are not in close proximity to you.

I have done the following mind map on mind mapping, this mind map was made using an free online mind mapping tool which allowed me to save it to a Jpeg. 

The mind map is a mind map on mind mapping (concept mapping). I have used a technique generally refered to as the 5W technique. The analysis looks at Why, What, When, Where, and How.

Please click on image to enlarge.

As a teacher I will introduce mind mapping to all my students as I beleive that mind mapping can enhance learning for students who learn and understand concepts visually.
In the area of business I find using mind maps an advantage when doing stategic planning, therefor in teaching business I will ensure that my students can use and know where to gain access to a mind mapping tool.



 Please click on image to enlarge.

The following article explores the use of mind maps for students when doing assessments:
Mind Maps for Pre and Post Assessment

No comments:

Post a Comment